Generator Review | Kohler Generator
Generator Review | Kohler Generator
I have been installing Kohler Generators for the past 2 years and prior to that I was installing and or wiring Generac, Generac Guardian, Coleman, Siemens, Honeywell, and Eaton brand generators for aproximately the past 5 years. Below is my review of the latest 14 & 20KW Kohler generators and the transfer switches that match these generators. These are all standby generators with automatic transfer switches.
The Positive: (These are the things I would personally look for in a generator!)
1. The 14KW & 20KW are both now newly designed with a 100% corrosion-proof enclosure. You don’t have to worry about your investment rusting away in the rain or corroding away next to the salt water.
2. Quiet Operation – Kohler is in my opinion one of the quietest generators on the market. I’ve heard heat pumps and or Air Conditioners louder than these generators. I think you will be pleasantly surprised as to how quiet these generators are. Most homeowners don’t focus enough on this until its installed and too late. I have no problem installing this generator right next to another house as it is that quiet!
3. What I also like is the industry leading 5 year warranty on these models. Most all other manufacturers only do a 3 year warranty. Kohler introduced the world’s first engine-driven automatic generator in 1920 and their engines are some of the most reliable if not the most reliable on the market today. I have zero trouble with these models and they start effortlessly when the power goes out. They can also run and power multiple central air conditioners without dropping power to other appliances. Even better is the response time to have you in power when the power goes out – less than 30 seconds!!
4. This generator when used with the proper transfer switch is capable of doing its weekly exercise in low speed for most of its self test which makes it even quieter and saves you money! Again, this is a big deal and most homeowners don’t even know about this feature as compared to a lot of other generators that don’t offer this money saving feature!
5. Finally I like the fact I can plug my laptop in to the digital controller and see any and all fault codes, exercise cycles, run time, etc…to help maintenance this generator or if the need ever arises to troubleshoot what could be wrong to get you back on-line as quick as possible.
The Negative: (My own personal experiences installing and wiring these generators.)
1. I will sometimes find loose connections in the transfer switches that will cause us some extra pain in getting them started initially. However, once I make sure all the cables are connected and all fuses are tight we have no problems. Just about every transfer switch has something we need to re-tighten or re-connect though.
2. We have had to replace 1 digital controller that came bad from the factory. It would not start up at all and wouldn’t even recognize the battery was hooked up to the generator. We had a new one installed in less than 24 hrs and have had no problems with the generator at all.
Other than the 2 items listed above we truly have had zero problems with these generators. Usually if they are going to give you any problems it will be during the initial start up to the first exercise a week later. Typically once we get them through start up they run flawlessly from that point on. Most installs go very smooth with these generators and they start up very smoothly. In my opinion this is easily the best generator on the market and an investment you can make knowing it will give you the value you want and deserve. My no doubt about it top rated generator in the marketplace today!